Quality Attributes of embedded System:
These are the attributes that together form the deciding factor about quality of an embedded system.
There are two types of quality Attributes
1. Operational Quality Attributes :There are the attributes related to operation or functioning of an embedded system. The way an embedded system operates affects its overall quality.
2. Non-Operational Quality Attributes, :These are attributes not related to operation or functioning of an embedded system.
There are the attributes that are associated with the embedded system before it can be put into operation
OPERATIONAL ATTRIBUTES :-
- It is a measure of quickness of the system.
- It gives you an idea about how fast your system is tracking the input variables
- most of the embedded system demand fast response which should be real-time.
- It deals with the efficiency of system
- It can be defined as rate of production or process over a static period of time.
3. Reliability :
- It is the measure of how much percentage you rely upon the proper functioning of the system
- Mean Time b/w failures and Mean Time to repair are terms used in defining system reliability.
- maintainability deals with support and maintenance to the end user or a client in case of technical issues and product failures of routine system checkup
- Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability at three corner stones of information security
- Confidential data deals with protecting data from unauthorized disclosure.
- Integrity gives protection from unauthorized modification.
- Availability gives protection from unauthorized person.
- Safety deals with the possible damage that can happen to the operating person and environment
- Due to breakdown of an embedded system or due to emission of hazardous materials from the embedded products.
NON - OPERATIONAL ATTRIBUTES :
a)Testability and Debug-ability:
- It deals with how easily one can test his/her design application by which means he/she can test it
- In hardware testing the peripherals and total hardware function in designer manner.
- Firmware testing is functioning in expected way
- For embedded system, the quantitative attribute durability refer to ease with which the embedded product can be modified to tells advantage of new firmware (or) hardware technology
- Portability is measured of %u201CSystem Independence%u201D
- An embedded product can be called portable if it is capable of performing its operations as it is intended to do in various environments irrespective of different processor and or controller and embedded operating systems.
d)Time to prototype and market:
- Time to Market is the time elapsed between the Conceptualization product and time at which product is ready for selling or use.
- Product prototyping help in reducing time to market.
- Prototyping is an informal kind of rapid product development in which important feature of the under consider are develop.
- In oden to shorten the time to prototype make use of all possible option like use of run, off the component etc..
e)Per unit and total cost:
- Cost is important factor which needs to b carefully monitored. Proper market study and cost benefit analysis should be carried on before taking decisions on the per unit cost of the embedded product.
- When the product is introduced in the market for the initial period the sales and revenue will below.
- There won't be much compassion when the product sales and revenue increase
- During the maturing phase, the growth will be steady and revenue reaches highest point and at retirement time there will be a drop in sales volume.