- A bar working under bending is generally termed as beam.
- A beam is laterally (Transverse) loaded member, whose cross-sectional dimensions are small as compared to its length.
- A beam may be defined as a structural member subjected to external loads at right angles to its longitudinal axis. If the external force acts along the longitudinal axis, it is called column.
- Material %u2013 Wood, Metal, Plastic, Concrete
Types of beams: According to their support
1. Simply Supported beam: if their supports creates only the translational constraints. Sometime translational movement may be allowed in one direction with the help of rollers.
2. Overhanging beam: A beam which is simply supported at point A and B and projects beyond point B. The segment BC is similar to cantilever beam but also the beam axis may rotate at point B.
3. Cantilever beam: fixed at one end and free at other end. At fix support the beam can neither translate nor rotate, whereas at the free end it may do both. Therefore force & movement reactions may exist at the fixed support.